One of the many Breeders’ Cup races, the Dirt Mile is a race open to horses three-years and older. Run on the first weekend of November, the race is limited to 12 runners. It is a 1-mile Weight for Age race for thoroughbred North American horses. As the name suggests, they run on either a natural or synthetic dirt course.
There are two preparation races before the Dirt Mile. These are:
- The Metropolitan Handicap, a grade 1 race in June at Belmont Park, New York; and
- The Pat O’Brien Stakes, a grade 1 race in August at Del Mar, California.
This race has a purse of $1,000,000 and draws in thousands of spectators and bettors every year. The Breeders’ Cup is the premier end-of-the-year championship with thousands of dollars to be won.
Let’s take a look at the best US sportsbooks offering odds on the Dirt Mile, betting odds on the race, how you can bet on it, and its history.
Best Sportsbooks for Dirt Mile Race USA
We’ve found some of the best online sportsbooks for betting on the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile.
What you’ll find in this Dirt Mile guide:
The betting odds on the Dirt Mile depend on how popular each horse is with bettors around the country and how much money there is in the pot. Therefore, if there is a lot of money in the betting pool, and not a lot of people betting on your horse, the odds next to your horse (and the payout) would be enormous.
On the other hand, bet on a horse that is a lot of people’s favorite, then your payout won’t be that great.
The odds for runners will change a lot in the run up to the actual event right up until the few minutes. So, you can never be sure what the final odds are on your horse until it’s go time.
The popularity of the internet, and proliferation of smartphones, has made betting on events like the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile very easy and convenient. Place your bets at your favorite sportsbook online, and watch the action on TV or live stream it. Here’s a simple how-to guide on betting on the Dirt Mile.
- Pick your favorite sportsbook: if you haven’t found one, take a look at our list of recommended sports betting sites just for US bettors. Create an account and verify your identity.
- Make your first deposit: once you’ve logged in, make your first deposit under the cashier section. Choose your preferred banking method – this can be with credit card, e-wallet, or even prepaid cards. Complete the payment process.
- Place your bets: finally, after you’ve made the deposit, look for the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile event. Pick your favorite horse and the type of bet you want. Enter your bet amount and confirm the bet.
For more Breeders’ Cup Races, check out the following guides:
The first Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile race was run in 2007 in the early days of the expanded Breeders’ Cup at Monmouth Park. In 2009, it became a grade 1 event.
The first horse to win this race was Corinthian who also set the slowest recorded time even at 1:39:06. The horse to have won the most Dirt Mile’s is Goldencents who won it twice in 2013 and 2014.