The New York Jets are a popular National Football League (NFL) team in the American Football Conference (AFC) East division. Based in Florham Park, New Jersey, the Jets share the MetLife Stadium with the New York Giants.Their headquarters is the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.
Established in 1959 as the Titans of New York, they were originally first members of the American Football League (AFL) before the 1970 merger with the NFL. They adopted the New York Jets name in 1963. The Jets were the first AFL team to beat an NFL club in 1968 in Super Bowl III. However, this is the only time the Jets have won a Super Bowl as well as their only Super Bowl appearance. The Jets share a division with the Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, and New England Patriots.
Nicknamed the Gang Greens, the New York Jets sports gotham green, white, and black as their uniform colors. They are also one of four NFL teams to not have an official mascot.
The Jets have long running rivalries with all of the teams in their division. Let’s take a look at some of the rivalries with the team in the AFC East division:
- Since the creation of the AFL, the Jets have been rivals of the New England Patriots. Media attention on the rivalry began to increase in 1997 after the Patriots’ head coach moved to the New York Jets. Subsequently, there have been scandals between the two teams over the years.
- The rivalry between the Buffalo Bills is one of New York City versus Western New York where the Bills play. They were also members of the AFL and stayed in the same division in the NFL.
- With the Miami Dolphins, there’s been a rivalry since 1966. There have been controversial plays, such as the Jets’ coach flashing obscene gestures to heckling Dolphins fans, and a coach tripping a Dolphins player.
Finally, there’s an intense rivalry between the Jets and the New York Giants. However, it has died down because they haven’t played against each other as often in the regular season.
Best New York Jets Sportsbooks
We’ve compiled a list of some of the best sports betting sites for American players. Here’s where you’ll find competitive odds on betting on the New York Jets and other AFC East teams.
What you’ll find in this New York Jets guide:
The Jets have appeared in the playoffs a total of 14 times (including twice during the AFL days). They played their first Super Bowl in 1968, where they beat the Baltimore Colts. This has been their only Super Bowl win since. This makes them one of three NFL teams to win their only Super Bowl appearance. They’re also one of the teams with the longest droughts in the NFL.
Jets’ Playoff Performances
Looking at their NFL playoff appearances, this is how they have performed:
- In 1981, they failed to make it past the AFC Wild Card game.
- In 1982, the Jets lost the AFC championship to the Miami Dolphins.
- Their 1985 performance saw them fail to make it past the AFC Wild Card round.
- The Jets lost to the Cleveland Browns in the Divisional Playoffs in 1986.
- For their 1991 season, they didn’t make it past the Wild Card playoffs.
- In 1998, they lost the AFC championship to the Denver Broncos.
- Their 2001 season saw them lose during the Wild Card playoffs.
- The Jets failed to make it through the Divisional playoffs in 2002.
- In 2004, the Jets lost the Divisional playoffs to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- Then in 2006, the Jets didn’t get past the Wild Card playoffs against the New England Patriots.
- In their 2009 season, the Jets made it up to the AFC Championship but lost to the Indianapolis Colts.
- Finally, in 2010, the Jets made it to the AFC Championship again but lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Read more on the teams in the AFC East division:
Since they’ve signed new head coach Adam Gase, the New York Jets are quite confident about dethroning the New England Patriots as AFC East champions. However, oddsmakers aren’t as convinced. The Jets are considered to have the best defense in the NFL, so it’s about keeping an eye on how they perform. The odds on the Jets have a 5/1 odds to win, while the Patriots are 2-7.