The CONCACAF Champions League is the annual soccer event for soccer clubs in the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF). Known officially as the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League since February 2015, this tournament set apart the best soccer clubs in the Americas from the rest. Winners of this league, which is also referred to as the Concachampions, automatically qualify for the quarter-finals of the FIFA Club World Cup.
First organized in 1962, it was known as the CONCACAF Champions’ Cup up until 2008. Then from 2008 up to 2017, it was known as the CONCACAF League. Each era was marked by a different league format.
- During the Champions’ Cup era, there were several different formats but it mainly used the knockout format.
- In the League era they expanded the Cup into a larger CONCACAF Champions League style event. So, a tournament that started in March and April was moved to August and ending in May.
- Then in 2018, a new format under the League format was announced. It removed the group stage and features 22 teams in total from CONCACAF countries: 18 teams from Central America, three teams from the Caribbean, and one team from North America. This is played from August to December. The winner out of the 18 teams moves on to the Champions League. Here they join a total of 15 teams – nine from North America, five from Central America, and one from the Caribbean. This leg is played between February and May of the next year.
Top US CONCACAF Champions Betting Sites
Want to get in on the CONCACAF Champions League betting action? Take a look at our recommended US-friendly betting sites. Here you’ll find the most competitive CONCACAF Champions League betting odds for US bettors.
What you’ll find in this CONCACAF Champions League Guide:
- Best CONCACAF Champions League Betting Odds
- Popular Betting Lines CONCACAF Champions League
- CONCACAF Champions League Tips for US Players
- Concachampions 2019 Qualifying Teams
Betting on the CONCACAF Champion League is an exciting two months for fans of soccer. Sportsbooks will have betting odds available before the tournament and matches begin, betting lines open until kick-off, and live betting lines with volatile odds as the game unfolds. However, veterans to betting on the CONCACAF know that the best odds are just before kick-off.
For those looking to wager on the latest CONCACAF Champions League matches, visit our recommended sports betting sites around the time of the tournament to find out which betting lines you can place your money on.
In terms of picking a club to bet on, it seems like you can’t go wrong with picking a Mexican team. The country is dominating the Champions League with 35 CONCACAF Champions League trophy wins, followed by Costa Rica with six, and then El Salvador with three.
For more betting action on other CONCACAF soccer tournaments, see our guides below:
- CONCACAF Gold Cup
- CONCACAF League
- CONCACAF Nations League
The best US sportsbooks have a variety of soccer betting lines for Concachampions wagering. The most popular bet types are:
- 1X2: here you’re betting on the outcome of the match – 1 is for a home win; X is for a draw; and 2 is an away win.
- Totals: also known as over/under, her you’re wagering on what the total goal score will be.
- Halftime Results: US bettors are wagering on what the result will be at halftime.
- Live betting: one of the most unpredictable but exciting ways to bet on a live game. You place bets as the team is playing, having to contend with the fluctuating odds.
CONCACAF soccer season is exciting for bettors not just in the Americas but around the world. Keep these tips in mind when betting on the Champions League:
- Do research on the teams that will be playing. It’s easy to bet with your heart in support of your home club but that isn’t always a smart strategy. Check their previous performances against that day’s rival, any injuries, and what professional tipsters are saying.
- Shop around for the best odds and place a bet at more than one sportsbook.
- Make use of the free bets and bonuses on offer.
- Finally, remember to never spend more than 10% of your bankroll on a single bet. You don’t want to bankrupt yourself betting on just one soccer game.
Check out our other guides on soccer tournaments:
Here’s a list of the qualifying 2019 CONCACAF Champions League standings:
North America – 5 teams
Canada (1 berth)
- Toronto FC
Mexico (4 berths)
- Santos Laguna
United States (4 berths)
- Atlanta United FC
- Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls
- Sporting Kansas City
Central America – (6 teams)
Costa Rica (1 berth & League champion)
El Salvador (1 berth)
Guatemala (1 berth)
Honduras (1 berth)
Panama (1 berth)
Caribbean (1 team)
Dominican Republic (1 berth)