How to Bet on Hockey Guide
Knowing how to bet on hockey is an important thing to master if US bettors want to get cash in their pocket. Betting on this sport may not be as big as the NBA and the NFL but there’s still enough action to be found. Major sportsbooks have loads of betting markets open for National Hockey League (NHL) games.
The NHL is the largest professional hockey league in North America. It’s made up of 31 teams from the US and Canada. Although it may be the fourth major sport in the US, there are a lot of US-friendly sportsbooks that cater to hockey fans. Furthermore, there’s a another plus to betting on the NHL: because of the decreased interest in hockey betting, oddsmakers don’t spend the same amount of time creating NHL odds as other popular sports. US hockey bettors will find lower betting limits on NHL betting lines than the NFL or NBA for example.
For those interested in taking part in the latest hockey lines, we’ve compiled a beginner’s guide on how to bet on hockey.
Best NHL Sportsbooks USA
Find the best hockey betting lines at our top recommended sites.
What you’ll find in this how to bet on hockey guide:
As mentioned, hockey betting has lower betting limits than in the other major sports in America. To learn how to bet on hockey, check out the steps below.
- Find a sportsbook that offers you the best bonuses and betting security. To find one, check out our recommended sports betting sites.
- Sign up to create a betting account. Then you’ll have to deposit some cash in order to start betting.
- Go to the NHL or hockey tab and pick the match-up you want to bet on.
- Select the team you want to back and pick the bet type you want to wager on.
- Fill in the amount you want to wager and click on submit.
- Watch the game and hopefully your prediction is correct.
When learning how to bet on hockey, you’ll find that there are a variety of hockey betting lines to choose from. Below are some of these popular lines:
NHL Money Lines
The money line bet is a popular NHL bet among US bettors. Basically, you have to pick which team will win the game. However, picking the bigger and more favored hockey team to win the game equals less money. While picking the underdog to win pays out more.
Puck Line Bets
Similar to the money line bet, this bet type requires the teams to win by a certain number of points. So, either they have to win by more than 1.5 goals or lose by less than 1.5 goals.
Also known as totals, this wager is about predicting whether or not the total number of goals scored in the game will be more (over) or less (under) the set number. This set number is determined by the oddsmaker. While the number may change in other sports, in NHL betting the number is almost always 5.5 goals. Additionally, the payout odds change – unlike other sports – to accommodate the number change.
These are the most entertaining bet types in hockey betting and they can also be very rewarding. Proposition bets are wagers on event happening during a game. Generally, they’re divided into two categories by sportsbooks: skilled prop bets and unskilled prop bets.
- Skilled prop bets allow US bettors to use their knowledge and expertise to increase their chances of winning the bet. Popular skilled prop bets include choosing who the first scorer will be.
- On the other hand, unskilled prop bets are purely about chance and luck. They’re purely for entertainment.
They basically require you to predict the outcome of the playoffs or who will win the Stanley Cup. For those that are avid NHL fans that know the ins-and-outs of the sport, futures bets might be up your alley. Because they are notoriously difficult to get right and therefore have high payouts. Future bets are generally offered before or at the beginning of the season.
The Grand Salami
For those that want to wager on all the hockey games happening on a specific day, this bet is for you. The grand salami is when the sportsbook lets bettors wager on every game being played on a specific game with the cost of one bet. US sportsbooks take over/under bets on grand salami wagers.
Check out our guides on betting on the NHL:
Below you’ll find some of our expert’s best tips and advice for hockey betting.
- Find a Mentor: Try to find someone who is willing to show you how to bet on hockey.
- Learn More than Just the Game: Apart from knowing the players and teams, you’ll have to know about the team’s travel schedule. Find great stats from sites like ESPN and Yahoo for different line up and bets.